A day not so long ago, I wrote these things:
I always wanted to spend a night close to the airport to have a pre-vacation for transitioning when traveling. I can remember thinking how nice it would be to drive and be able to not have to watch the road, but enjoy the scenery and once in a while just close my eyes to think or pray while driving. I didn’t even know that I wanted to try a sleep number bed.
When I woke up on this morning, I did not know today would be the day that I would be given those gifts.
The themes of my days lately have been trust and obedience in God in the day to day, instead of trying to focus on the big picture. I had read about this guy that had asked Mother Teresa to pray for clarity for him. She responded with great wisdom of something to the effect that - clarity is the one thing you are hanging on to and need to let go. She wisely, and humbly, I am sure, told him she would pray for trust.
The gate attendant had told me when I checked in that I did not have a confirmed seat because the flight was overbooked. I didn’t think too much of it and waiting in the lobby. But now, the anxiety of those around me was starting to be contagious. I mean really??!! Some people are funny (can’t think of another word for them) and really get themselves worked up – as if that is going to make things better. I mean, we are adults here, right?
As I sat at the airport, I had just read about this Quaker prayer where they sit with open hands in lap and pray, “What You put in my hands, Lord, I will receive from You,” and then turn their palms over and say, “Whatever you take out of my heads, Lord, I will let go.”
Everyone went ahead inside the gate, as instructed. After a bit the gate attendant announced the flight was overbooked and they were looking for flexible travelers in need of vouchers. As the increment went up by $50, the travelers looked around, eying each other and thinking, “it can’t be me, not this time,” “not flexible,” “my day and my travels are more valuable than that price tag.” Myself included; for this trip anyway. Of course, I thought about it for a split second then told God it was up to him, but he gives us the ability to choose and here and now, I wasn't hearing from him differently...so I was choosing not to volunteer. Then I prayed that Quaker prayer and decided if other plans were in the works for my day – I did not want to get in the way. So, I waited. Today, it was not clarity that I need, but trust.
The plane boarded by priority and then there were 10 of us left as the gate attendant informed us that we would not all be boarding. They did some final calculations with fuel, weather, etc. and she said there would be about 6 of us not boarding. Again, people are funny and they began yelling at her and questioning. I always thought airports need a yoga booth to help people chill out while they wait. :) But, long story short...they eventually backed off and let her do her job.
So, yep...I was one of those not boarding. That was God's plan for this day and the gifts he had in store for me. Tired from the week and without a car, due to a screw in the tire earlier in the week, I knew the airport shuttle and a flight out of the major city airport the next morning would be the next best option. So the airline took care of those arrangements along with a hotel and a voucher. The only downside was a light dinner, but I did have some fruit snacks in my suitcase for one of my favorite 4 ½ year old, but he would not miss one package. :) That and some pretzels hit the spot in order to get some sleep before the early am flight.
And there the adventures and gifts I never knew I needed on this day began. The drive was a wonderful one. Lots of time to just take it all in and be thankful. An adventure!
I should probably write more about that adventure of once we got in the shuttle and on the road, and maybe I will but that is where my initial notes end from the day not so long ago...what I had the energy to write at the time. The rest was just hard to put into words, but was something that made me smile on the inside and out the whole way there. Sometimes, ok – always --, God just has our best in mind and good things in store. He has a way of speaking to us and letting us know we are loved.
No comments:
Post a Comment