Friday, August 26, 2011

Lady in red

As I work in an environment which is almost as fast paced as the corporate world (but with higher rewards that matter), I sometimes find it difficult to slow down.

Two things that I love about flying are 1) the pre-boarding time to slow down and wait and 2) people watching and the beautiful stories abound.

On this trip those two ideals collided with a story I will call, The Lady in Red. I don’t know her name, although I wish I did, but as I watched her, in her red sports fleece, and her story unfold and be written in front of me, I was speechless. I had been encouraged lately by the idea of ---say anything –--the basic concept that even in situations where you can’t seem to find the exactly right thing to say –just go with your gut. It is better than not saying anything at all. Of course, I know that, but still as I watched on, I was speechless.

Her story is one that is probably typical for this airport I thought, as she stood by her man in uniform. But yet there was something that drew me in. And as I looked around the small waiting area and noticed many tear clouded eyes, it was evident, others were drawn in, too.

It started in the waiting area, you could tell it was not your everyday small talk –-- more of a-this-is-the-last-time-we-will-see-each-other-face-to-face-for-a-while kind of talk. Then with each gate announcement, there was a multi-minute embrace. A hug, that for both of them, certainly made time stand still. Then time moved on with the boarding call. She stayed with him as long as she could through the line. And he stayed strong for the both of them. Then the time came for him to go through the gate. One more lingering hug and tear filled goodbye. And she was gone. No waves through the glass or difficult lingering goodbyes. She was gone. No waiting in the lobby for the opportunity for others to reach out to her. She was gone, o’lady in red.

The great thing about wisdom and life experiences is that learning happens over time. All the things I wanted to say or ask but could not: It’s going to be okay; He will come home; Thank you for letting him serve; Are you going to be okay; Do you have a support system here; What’s your story and how did you meet; Do you need a friend? No, not one of them would I choose to say, for although they may have some small merit of their own, I now find them foolish. Instead, a kind gesture, “Miss, can I give you a hug?” or a simple eye-locked “thank you.” Sometimes, less is more.

Yet, for this time, I am left with only words to scribe as pen meets paper. Even more, I am touched by their lives and the depths of their story, which only God knows. Yet still, I can be thankful and even more ask Jesus to be the Strength and Comforter that she needs, o’lady in red.





1 comment: