Saturday, August 8, 2009

twessel unplugged

As I've been pondering the "is facebook worth it" question, I am left with a sometimes yes and sometimes no conclusion. More on that later. But for today and this weekend as part of that experiment, if you will, I am holding off on email and facebook. It is a weekend "unplugged", you may say. And the somewhat not surprising result, is that life goes on without those things. It has been a very good day going back to some of the simple things...face to face conversation, community, starting a new read (Waking the Dead by John Eldrige), and taking a nap. The morning started with a church group meeting in which folks, some of which met each other for the first time, came together and were able to be real. As I was running errands, on two different occasions, I ran into people I knew and was able to have the time to slow down and truly talk to them. Our conversations were blessed by content, but also by being able to be in each other's presence...face to face. There was the ability to animate a story or reach out and touch the other for emphasis...it was true conversation, the real thing. It reminds me of evenings (sometimes on Saturdays, or maybe it just felt like Saturday because it was summer) growing up, after a day of playing outside or doing whatever it was we were doing, we would go and visit my grandparents. Grandpa would sit in his chair after a hard days work on the farm and tell us about his week, people he had gone to visit, or just simple stories. Now I know I am probably being a bit nostalgic, because I know that I did not have the patience to sit and listen and am sure there were many times I was anxious and ready to leave. But, now I've come to see the joy of those living room conversations as the simple things of which to cherish.

So for now, my answer is: facebook, you can live with out and embrace the preferred simple things in life.

1 comment: