Monday, March 28, 2011

Dreaming a masterpiece

On my wall, there hangs this picture. A masterpiece, really. I still remember the day, in the ebbs and flow of student teaching, on which one of my fifth-graders gave me that picture. It is a good painting; truly. I framed it. But beyond the quality of work, is the manner and heart in which it was given. This student was my favorite...one of 29. I can truly say that, because each student was my favorite for a different reason.

But back to the painting, I was thinking about it recently, as the student is probably close to graduating from high school. I think about her hopes and dreams, and just like that painting, I hope they have found a special place in the world from which she can have an impact.

In the same way dreaming-a-little-dream, is kind of like painting. Each work of art has a special place on the refrigerator. A proud place; reflecting the manner and heart in which it was penned.

I've been reflecting on my dream-big list lately. My lists are a compilation, that get updated every so often.
Some of the dreams had a spotlight space of display for a while, but have since lost their luster. Nothing wrong with that really; somethings just change.

Others dreams are maybe on the back burner -- still a good thought, but not quite ready to make them happen.

Yet, there are still some dreams that can be checked off the list, and some of those even that can be checked off and then put back in the list to the next level.

Finally, there are the new dreams. Or maybe ones that were on the back burner, yet moving up.


The fun part about that dreaming-a-little-dream...is truly making it a masterpiece. Day dream for a bit. Maybe even come up with an action plan. Break out the watercolors, finger paints, pastels, and even crayons. The only limit is that there are no limits. After all, some of the best dreams are those we never thought of until we lived them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment