Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Control issues

I was recently reminded of a time when I felt God was showing me his sense of humor. In this particular case, I had told him I was fine with how he dealt with the situation except for one outcome, anything but that could happen. Well, yep, you guessed it, God is God and I am not. And that one outcome is the one he chose. Once I got over that (ok, it took 3 months) and was able to work through it, I thought, 'you know, God has a sense of humor. ' And while I still think that is true, even more the realization four years later that I've had is that he is in control and has a plan, and I think that is what he wanted me to learn beyond his friendship-humor, is his sovereignty. I was reminded again of that fact with our local women's retreat. I was in charge of organizing a group to travel out to a near by camp ground in March. Everything was lined up and by the time that weekend got here, I was so focused on it almost being over that I failed to let my leadership-radar come into action to the fact that severe winter weather was planned for that weekend. But he had another plan and did not let me miss the fact that we needed to reschedule the retreat. Again, God is God and I am not. So we moved the event to May, which I am certain is how he intended it all along. Sometimes, he just has to lead us step by step and we have to follow in faith for the big picture. That has been the other lesson for me recently with so many lives around me in transition. I am usually not one to worry-like-crazy like some folks, but from time to time, I do wonder I am doing the right thing, am I where I am suppose to be, what's my purpose, and how will I know if I am not. But God is faithful, and I was reminded at retreat that God's will is for us to be seeking him more and more, and to be becoming more in his image....and that is our purpose. If we are doing that, how it is happening or where can be almost irrelevant. (Col. 3:23) Ah, a sigh of relief that he has a plan and is in control and I am not.

1 comment:

  1. i wish blogspot had a thumbs up button like facebook (I like this) :P

    ReplyDelete